Thursday, September 21, 2006

Google should filter Russian Spam

This Russian spam thing is really beginning to annoy me. I’d say about 20% of the spam that makes it through Google’s spam filters is in a Cyrillic character set that I can’t read and I’m 100% sure I don’t want.



I tried writing a filter that looked for tell-tale Cyrillic characters (see image) and flagged those as spam, but the issue became that any email that may be 99% English would get thrown out if it had the briefest mention of the “Mother Land.”

I propose the smart people at Google add a language filter that could attach a label to email that may arrive in any give language. Easy right?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:59 AM

    Got the same problem with YahooMail.I get only russian spam and asked Yahoo! couple times to stop delivering any russian emails but without any result.Filters just doesnt work.I tried to make couple different ones but those bulkmails just keep coming.Hope they add verification request feature to Yahoo mail and the same should be done with Gmail.

    ReplyDelete